Thursday, January 3, 2008

10 Days To Go

I went to the doctor the other day to have my knee looked at. I was told what I kind of expected I would hear. It’s not a serious injury – no tearing or bone problems. It’s just a ligament strain kind of thing. So I do need to continue to lay off the running and allow it to heal, but I won’t really have to worry about some kind of permanent damage during my race. That’s good news.

So this morning I went to the Y and ran for an hour in the swimming pool. I put on this floaty belt thing, got in the deep end and ran the width of the pool over and over . . . and over . . . and over . . . and over. It was a tremendously boring hour. You can’t read a book, watch TV or listen to your iPod in the swimming pool. And it was amazingly slooooow. It took about 2 ½ minutes just to go the width of the pool. I felt really ridiculous at first, but got over that after a while. My knee felt fine while I was in the pool, but was tender as I walked back to the locker room. I plan to run in the pool from now until my race – no more treadmills for me.

So, once again, if anyone would like to come keep me company on Saturday morning, I’ll be at the Y. I don’t know what time I’ll go yet. I have to check what the pool has scheduled to make sure I can get a lane. But if you would like to come run or just float leisurely on your back alongside me, I would LOVE the company! It’s only supposed to be an 8 mile run, so I will only stay about 2 hours. Shoot me an email and I’ll let you know when and where!

2 comments:

  1. Oh! Well, it's good that there'll be no long-lasting injury. These things do take a long time to heal, though.

    I'm impressed with your dedication to keep moving through all this! That's fantastic!

    How will it affect your race, though? Will you be able to walk much of it?

    What will you do after the race? Will you train for another?

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Julie
    Only 2 more days till the race. You are awesome. I will be at the finish line waiting for you.
    I am so excited for you.

    XOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete