Friday, February 17, 2012

Andrew

At the Y last night for our team swim, I found myself in conversation with a gentleman named James. I told him why I was at the Y trying desperately to learn to swim. Then he then told me about his son, Andrew.

Andrew is 8 years old and was diagnosed at age 7 with ALL, acute lymphoblastic leukemia. He has undergone over a year of chemotherapy so far and, because of his condition is also at a high risk for other cancers later in life. I learned last night that when children are diagnosed with blood cancers, their treatment plan stretches over a period of years. Unlike adults who typically undergo months of treatment, children are in for a much longer ordeal and often experience much more severe side effects. Andrew and his family have been through a laundry list of emotional, physical and financial struggles over this last year. We will add Andrew to the growing list of special people we hope to benefit through our efforts.

Thank you, James, for sharing your family's story.

No comments:

Post a Comment