Sunday, April 8, 2012

Halftime Report


7.34 miles Swam - 285 miles Biked - 82.5 miles Ran

We are halfway through our training and about halfway to our fundraising goal! Thank you so much to everyone who has supported us with donations and encouragement.

It has been a busy few weeks! We have been getting the hang of biking on the road - very different from spin class! There have been a lot of big hills that we have conquered, and a few that have conquered me. In order to get accustomed to the transition, we have been completing short runs directly after our long bike rides. Funny how those leg muscles just will not work properly right off the bike!

Swimming has been going a little better each time. This last Thursday we swam our full event distance - 1500 meters. Yes, I was the absolute last person to finish, but I did complete the whole distance. We often complete some sprint laps during training and my time is usually right around a minute and a half for one lap at full speed. Then I require a minute or more to recover before I can do another. My "normal" speed laps are usually just under 2 minutes. Not breaking any records, but definitely an improvement over two months ago!

Soon we will receive our wetsuits and then begin open water swimming. That will be the next major hurdle to overcome. I know of a lot of people who have trained in a pool in preparation for a tri, only to freak out and lose it when it came to open water swimming. 

This weekend I've been feeling pretty rotten. I did pull off two spin classes followed by a 2 mile run on Saturday, but have had to bow out of the long run we normally would have done today. Instead I'm spending some quality time with my couch hoping the rest will get me back up to speed for Monday.

This week we have our Recommitment Party. This is the time when we can either back out if we feel training or fundraising are too much to handle, or commit to continue. We will register for our event, order our wetsuits and, most importantly, commit to our full fundraising amount. If we are unable to raise the full amount necessary, we will be responsible for paying whatever is left of our fundraising commitment amount. Our intent is to turn in that paperwork and maintain our commitment with Team in Training. Knowing that cancer patients don't have the option to opt out of their struggles, we can't possibly do any less. 

If you haven't already given, please consider a donation to LLS in honor of our efforts. Thanks so much for your support!

-- JAM

No comments:

Post a Comment