Friday, April 27, 2012

Robie's Got Faith

Last Saturday we went for a 29 mile bike ride followed immediately by a 3 mile run. This was the first time my legs kind of worked after a bike ride. I was still pretty tired, but at least I felt like I could get one foot in front of the other without stumbling!


Sunday we participated in Robie's Got Faith. This was a 10k run in Boise to benefit a little girl named Faith who is battling leukemia. It was incredibly hot for April - upper 80's - and the heat combined with a bad night sleep made for a very difficult run for me. Dan was feeling pretty good, but I really struggled. We finished ahead of just a few people and the chocolate milk, bananas and bagels at the finish line were much appreciated!


I got to meet Faith too. She attended the event with her family and friends, participated in the one mile kids run and got to meet some of the BSU football players. One of the players put her up on his shoulders for pictures and Faith got to blow the horn to start the 5k and 10k races. She was so darling in her little pink hat. I told her she was a star! There was a great turnout for the race so I hope Faith's family received lots of financial help from the event.


Struggling through this run was a good reminder to me of the difficulties that those battling cancer have to face every day. I was struck again by the fact that people like little Faith cannot just choose to quit when things get tough. They have to continue to fight day after day no matter how they feel. 


-- JAM

No comments:

Post a Comment