Friday, April 20, 2012

Super Swimmer

Thursday night swim - I never know how that's going to go. Some nights are good, others are... well, yeah...


I went to the Y early and got in a 5 mile run outside before we went in to swim. I've missed way too many training days lately because of the craziness of the month of April. I have two kids in track with practices and meets all over the place, sometimes in another state! Also, work has been insanely busy for both Dan and I so in trying to juggle all the necessary things, unfortunately, training has been the thing to suffer. 


There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Dan's crazy schedule will ease up in May and I think things may be starting to settle just at little at my job as well. Hailey is done with track now, so we just have Carson to get through the season. May promises to be much easier to handle from a family and work perspective, but a month of hard work as training really gets serious!


So, back to swim night. The 5 mile run was excellent. I felt great, the weather was perfect and I enjoyed watching the little league and lacrosse games going on in the fields I ran around. The workout for swim night was a 100 meter warm up followed by a 20 minute swim without stopping, then a 100 meter cool down. Once again, I felt great. As soon as I started on my 20 minutes, I got right into a slow to medium groove. The pace was just right and I had no trouble keeping it up for the full 20 minutes. I lost count of my laps after about 3 so I started timing my individual laps. I was at about 1:40 or less per lap which comes out to about 12 laps total. That may not sound fast, but when I started swimming laps I couldn't break 2 minutes! 


I'm not trying out for the Olympic Swim Team anytime soon, but this is definitely a major accomplishment for me! 


Michael would be proud.


-- JAM

No comments:

Post a Comment