Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Small Breakthrough

After a great run Tuesday night, for some reason my knees really started hurting. So much that I was awakened in the middle of the night by the pain! I'm not exactly sure what happened. I didn't think I overdid it on Tuesday. But any setback to my running just opens the door for working on my cycling ... and swimming.

We went to the gym last night, cycled for a while then hopped into the pool. Well, Dan hopped  I oozed. First the legs, then up to the hips, the waist, chest and finally shoulders. Brr.

This week I also purchased new goggles and a nose plug. The goggles are less than ideal, but I think that nose plug has helped me make some major progress. Last night I swam several pool lengths without stopping.  Not consecutively, but considering about three strokes was my maximum prior to yesterday I feel pretty good about the small victory! There was significantly less gasping, choking and snorting of pool water. I still feel like my lungs are in a vise at the end of one length, but we'll work on that next time.

So, I'm making progress. It will be no small miracle to get me swimming in just five months.

I hope you will join my efforts by clicking on the fundraising website to the right. This is all to help fund research for better treatments and ultimately a cure for leukemia, lymphoma and other blood cancers!

-- JAM 

No comments:

Post a Comment