Thursday, March 15, 2012

Hill Training for Swimmers


Because of a school event for Hailey, Dan and I had to get in our swim time last night rather than participating in the Thursday night team swim. So our coach posted the workout and we followed the plan on our own. Coach Jill decided it was time for hill training this week. Hill training? Ummm, last I checked most pools are flat. I understand running or biking uphill, but swimming…?

We warmed up with a couple laps as usual, then practiced that elusive “race stroke” again for 4 laps. Then began the “hills” - kinda like spin class in the water:

UPHILL –              50  meters slow pace
                            50 meters medium pace
                            50 meters fast pace
DOWNHILL –       50 meters fast pace
                            50 meters medium pace
                            50 meters slow pace

Repeat for a total of 3 hills – 18 laps or 900 meters

We got a 30 second break between each 50 meters, then a 90 second break at the “bottom” of each “hill.” The 90 seconds felt great, but I really could have used that break at the TOP of the hill!

I was really trying this time to eliminate or at least shorten the amount of time I pause to catch my breath at the far end of the pool. On the slow and medium pace laps I was able to complete each lap with just a couple seconds pause, but the fast laps about killed me. I had to pause at the far end and on a couple I didn’t make it back without flipping over onto my back.

So now you know how to swim like a salmon!  : )


No comments:

Post a Comment