Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Training Update


What an exciting week! We have exceeded 25% of our fundraising goal and there are possibilities of corporate donations on the horizon! Thank you to all our family, friends and colleagues that have given so generously. We have a long way to go, but it is so encouraging to see that percentage bar rising and working its way toward 100%!

I must say that last week’s swim training session was much better than the one before. Our workout included the usual warm ups and then several laps at our “race stroke.” I don’t actually have a race stroke yet, but with lots of pausing to catch my breath I did complete the laps. Next we were assigned 10 sprint laps. Swim one lap as fast as you can then rest 60 to 90 seconds. And repeat. Ten times! I don’t actually swim a full lap without stopping quite yet, so I have to take a little break at the end of the pool before heading back. Without that little break, I invariably end up on my back or sidestroking half way back. And gasping.

I completed the sprints at a slower pace than most people warm up. I muddled through the one lap stroking with just my left arm, then one lap stroking with just my right arm. Who came up with THAT idea? Anyway a few more laps of exercises with the kickboard and such, then we finished up with a couple slow laps. I was still last out of the pool, but not by nearly as much as last time. 1100 meters. Whew!

On Saturday, we got to take our bikes out on the road for the first time. The Olympic distance participants were to complete a 12 mile ride. It was a perfect day – sunny and cool. We went out 6 miles along Hill Road and felt so good that we kept on going. In total, we completed about 17 miles. Dan did lose his chain once, but was able to put it back on quickly and get back on the road. And then pass me like I was standing still! I guess all the spin classes have really paid off by getting us prepared for the road.

This week we have two spin classes to attend, a 3 mile and a 6 mile run to complete and hopefully we’ll get to swim twice as well. We will be missing most of our team trainings because of school and work commitments, but we always keep up on our own. We’ve got a long way to go and don’t want to arrive in Sunriver unprepared!

Thanks everyone for your continued support! And please let us know when you visit our blog! With no comments we kind of feel like we are talking to ourselves…

1 comment:

  1. I like reading your blogs. Keep 'em coming. Hopefully with the next payday we can donate via your link. Could you add Marc's step-dad Dwight Thompson to your list of "In Honor of's". He has been diagnosed with Lymphoma (not sure what type) and we do love him dearly. Thanks.
    - Heidi

    ReplyDelete