Thursday, September 20, 2007

"Cheek" This Out

Last spring I organized a drive through my kids’ school to encourage parents, teachers and friends to join the National Marrow Donor Program Registry. This event was a success resulting in a number of people joining and awareness of the program itself being raised among countless others.

Each year, more than 30,000 patients are diagnosed with leukemia, lymphoma or another life-threatening disease treatable by a bone marrow or stem cell transplant. Of those patients, seventy percent are unable to find a matching donor within their family and must turn to the National Marrow Donor Program to find a suitable donor. The process for joining the registry is quick and painless and the potential risks for being a donor are minimal.

My mom was a recipient of a stem cell transplant in March 2007 which did cure the leukemia. Unfortunately because of the advanced stage of her disease, it was the recovery from the procedure, the repeated infections and complications that were too much for her to overcome. When faced with the decision to go ahead with the risky transplant, my mom said, “I have to fight for life!” I don’t even know his name, but I thank God for the man who was willing to take the time to give of himself in order to give my mom a chance at life.

I joined the National Marrow Donor Program through our local hospital, St. Luke’s, completed the entire process through the mail and it cost me nothing but a few minutes of my time. Reader’s Digest version - I filled out a questionnaire, swabbed the inside of my cheeks with a big Q-Tip and POOF! That was it!

I highly recommend checking out the NMDP and considering becoming a potential donor. You could be the one, a hero to save a life!

Complete information is available at www.marrow.org or you can call 1-800-MARROW-2.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. It's always inspiring to hear about "new" runners and their reasoning behind starting (especially at 5am)!!
    I see you at the library all the time and am happy to tell you I am not one of those who loves to hate you... ;) most of the time, anyway.
    I took up running when my brother was diagnosed with Schizophrenia 8 years ago, and although not life-threatening like Lukemia, I still needed time away to think about what was happening. Running was never terribly appealing before then, but I can tell you, it has become an addiction now and the more I run and see others out running (though I still have a horrible habit of critiquing them from my car as I drive merrily past), the more I want to run.
    That is not the case with everyone (only us "crazies") but there count on encouragement when you come to check out books!! And I will definitely be keeping up on your blog to see how you're doing, because *gasp* I don't want to run a marathon! Ever! So your bravery and fortitude are inspiring...even if I never run that far.
    And I am sorry about the loss of your mom and (vicariously?) proud of you for the steps you've taken to make such a difference. Keep up the good work, JAM.
    - Hannah (from the Ada Library)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot something...a really great reference for new runnfers is a book we (wonder of wonders!) have here at the library called "Run For It" by Karen Bridson. I can't recommend it highly enough! :)

    ReplyDelete