Saturday, September 15, 2007

Still Going . . .

Here’s my Friday Teammates, Keisha, Julie, Jill and me, in front of Jill’s ‘65 Pontiac.

This has been a different kind of week with my training. Monday I ran with my oldest son, Gabe. He is in Cross Country at school, so I go hook up with him on Monday afternoons and run with his small team. Gabe is not quite 13 and actually likes that I come and run with him. I’ll hang on to that as long as I can!

So in Cross Country we did some sprints which I have not done before. I had some pretty good muscle soreness going on after that.
Then Tuesday I ran while my middle son, Carson, was at karate. Typically I take my daughter Hailey with me and she rides her little bike. This week it was nearly 90, so I thought I’d let her try out riding in a stroller. She has been such a trooper riding her bike with me on other hot days, I figured it was time to let her have a break. Well, I didn’t count the cost ahead of time! Pushing a six year old girl in a heavy stroller that really is for strolling, definitely not for running – no wonder I was feeling it within a couple blocks! Yikes. But I still did my typical 2.5 miles or so in the half hour window during Carson’s karate class. So then I was REALLY sore.
Wednesday I took a cycling class at the gym. That was a fun change of scenery and a serious workout. It was also air conditioned as I’d had enough of the running in the heat. But I feel like my buns are bruised now!

Thursday I spent all day on my hiney at work, then all afternoon and evening on my hiney driving to Bend, Oregon. My mom’s memorial service is this Saturday, so we all piled in the van with my two friends, Julie and Keisha, caravaning behind us. We stopped at my friend Jill’s house in Bend and spent the night.

Friday morning was my day for the distance run. Normally I would have run Saturday with the team, but knowing I was going to miss that, I planned to make it up Friday morning while I was in Bend. Jill and Julie rode Pee-Wee Herman-like cruiser bicycles alongside me as I did my 6 miles. It was a beautiful, sunny, chilly morning. Up until now I have been running 3 minutes, then walking 2 minutes for my distance runs. This time I did 4 minutes and 2 minutes, plus did the longest distance yet AND it was hilly! Needless to say, the soreness is still around, but MAN it was a great run!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Good for you!

    It's great to see improvement, isn't it?

    How's your Dad doing?

    Blessings,
    H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey kiddo... keep up the good work! I'm hoping to join you in Phoenix in January. I thought maybe I could hand you some water or something. :-)

    Dave

    ReplyDelete