Sunday, November 18, 2007

Feed Me Seymour

Yes, it is 2:00 in the morning. I'm no longer much of a night owl these days, so I was pretty much turning into a pumpkin by 10:00 tonight. But then I was awakened at 1:00 by (in the words of Pooh) a rumbly in my tumbly. I tried to just go back to sleep, but there was no way. I am amazed at how much I can eat these days. I've always been a lover of food, but all this running has taken that love to even greater heights.

The 7 miles on the treadmill was great today. All together I walked maybe 8 minutes out of the whole run!

I must back up though. Before this week I had never, NEVER been on a treadmill. I'd seen people jogging away on the machines and they made it look pretty simple. One foot in front of the other, right?

I believe it was Monday that I tried the treadmill at my gym for the first time. I felt pretty awkward, but managed to keep my feet under me as I jerked along. Well, I had my iPod on the little shelf directly in front of me and kept hitting the cord with my arm. That would pull the iPod right off the shelf and it would end up dangling in front of me. I'd pull it up by the cord, put it back on the shelf and try to keep my arms out of the way. Well, that cord kept swinging, so I kept hitting it. Finally, I hit the cord so hard that the iPod came disconnected from the headphones and fell down on the treadmill belt! Of course I looked down to see where it landed and make sure I didn't step on it or anything. That's when the stumbling and grabbing for the bars began before I developed the presence of mind to push the stop button! The iPod went shooting off the end of the treadmill and landed face down on the floor. Somehow, thankfully, I did not do the same, but it was pretty touch and go. And fortunately the gym doesn't start getting really crowded until closer to 6:00 when I'm leaving.

I know now to run the headphone cord under my shirt and tuck my iPod in the little pocket of my shorts. And to use the treadmill in the furthest corner of the room.

Well, I've finished my snack, so I think I'll try and get back to sleep. Good night!

3 comments:

  1. Oh JAM, you made me laugh out loud!

    I had a similar experience awhile back:

    http://harmsinoz.blogspot.com/2006/11/yet-another-blog-about-running.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the weirdest feeling to step off the treadmill and still feel like you're moving forward...

    I hope the iPod is okay. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is so Bridget Jones!
    I know what you mean though...I don't have a clip for my wee MP3, so I put mine on the shelf. I have to hold onto the bars of the treadmill so I don't go flying off. But I walk...not run. So that makes it easier. I can see how you'd have to let go in order to run...otherwise...that could also cause you to go SPLAT!

    ReplyDelete