Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Happy (Late) Thanksgiving

I have much to catch up on here! I had a few days break from my usual routine over the Thanksgiving holiday. My kids were on a trip with their dad, so I only had myself to worry about for a change. When I run during the week at 5:00 a.m. I can't see much of my neighborhood. Last week I actually got to run in the daylight! On Thanksgiving Day, I ran alongside my friend Julie while she rode her bike. I tried to keep to a slow and steady pace while holding her dog's leash - a bit challenging as Molly is an energetic, curious pooch!

I enjoyed a fabulous Thanksgiving meal at my friend Lisa's house. Her family was there as well as some close friends. It was a wonderfully relaxing afternoon of delicious food and fantastic company. I am so thankful for God's overwhelming provision for me and my kids. We have so much - both in tangible things and in lives filled to overflowing with the best kind of loved ones.

Saturday morning was the "highlight" of the break with my 16 mile run. It was not the nightmare of the 12, but definitely not so breezy as the 14. I have concluded that one must approach these long runs with awe and respect. You can't go into a long run terrified or thinking, "I can't do this." But you also can't treat them lightly. I don't believe I rested or ate the way I really should have in preparation for 16 miles. But I survived it. I did ok. Becky kept me going! After my ice bath and probably 45 minute shower, I finally felt refreshed enough to leave the house again. But I was walking like an old, old lady the rest of the day.

Sunday was better, but stairs were still an issue. And then - magically - Monday morning I hit the ground running . . . literally! It was WAY cold that morning when I met Alicia and Anita Nell. (Alicia's ankle is slowly improving and I'm so glad to have her back in the mornings! Whatta trooper!) But I had SO much energy and felt SO great! I was just amazed!

I had to take today off due to a sick little boy. Carson was up sick several times in the night and I just didn't feel right leaving the house this morning. This was only the second time I have missed a day on my training schedule. I think that's pretty OK.

I got a birthday package from my brother today. In it were two shirts for the marathon I'm running in January. One is a Team In Training shirt that says "If you think running a marathon is tough . . . try chemotherapy." The other is a super soft red hoodie sweatshirt with Rock N Roll Arizona Marathon on the front. The sleeve says "Rock On! Arizona" on it.

I do believe that my mom knows just what I'm up to and why, but I so wish she were here and that I could see her standing at that finish line when I cross it. She was such an encourager and loved rock and roll! That is why I have chosen this particular event to participate in. I know I'll be an emotional wreck the day of my race. I'll be thinking of her with each band along the route and at the victory concert afterward.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there...after reading this entry I had to go find some kleenex. See, last Saturday night I helped out with the 2nd annual Overcome benefit concert for Ryan's son, Isaiah (who is still battling aml leukemia, he had a bone marrow transplant the day before Thanksgiving last week-the doctors' view of the "last hope" of recovery after 3 times having the leukemia coming back). I announced the raffle winners on stage in between the bands sets...I was nervous and unsure as to how I was going to look up there on stage in front of a huge crowd. But once I got up there, it was fun and I was encouraged by all the people who had come out to help support and love Isaiah from afar (as he is Seattle right now at Childrens' Hospital). And I realized that my little bit between bands was such a small small small thing to do when considering what Isaiah has had to endure. My heart cried out inside, desperately desiring that next year Isaiah himself would be on that stage making the crowd laugh.
    I was touched by your brother sending you the tshirts, especially the one that says "if you think running a marathon is tough...try chemotherapy"...it really puts things into perspective. I don't think I'm being theological wrong by saying that I believe your mom knows what you're doing and why and is probably cheering you on (as you cheered her on).
    You can do this Julie. And it's okay to be an emotional wreck too!
    We're all proud of you.
    I love you woman!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sis - Do you think you could put up a photo of you in the new sweatshirt? Sounds like it was timely, though - since the days and evenings are getting cold over there!

    Love ya!
    yer bro

    ReplyDelete