Friday, November 9, 2007

Slugs and Chihuahuas

My dear friend, Code Name KW, said I needed to blog about this.

I understand it’s true among runners that some days you just can’t seem to get into your run. It happens. Wednesday was one of those days for me. I told Alicia I felt like a slug. It may have had something to do with the “migraine hangover” I was experiencing. I get migraines pretty regularly and I had had a particularly painful and tenacious one the night before. For whatever reason, I had the hardest time putting one foot in front of the other Wednesday morning.





But then there was yesterday.

My daughter, Hailey, is a big fan of the recent movie Hairspray. We have been listening to the soundtrack in our car almost daily, much to the chagrin of my two older boys. Hailey loves all kinds of musicals and, well, let’s face it, Zac Efron.


She’s 6 years old and already her room is covered with teen magazine posters from High School Musical 2. Anyway, I digress.

Fortunately I share Hailey’s love of musicals, so my iPod was armed with the more energetic selections from Hairspray when I hit the gym Thursday morning.

Rather than a slug day, I had what I like to call a Chihuahua day. When I’m running, a Chihuahua day finds me practically prancing next to Alicia or darting back and forth from one side of the street to the other trying to run farther or faster. At the gym, I’m going a super speed on the elliptical and smiling!



Ok, little Chester here is actually a terrier, but this was the image and attitude I was imagining.


By the time I reluctantly stopped myself it was ten minutes later than I should have stayed. I have a pretty tight schedule in the mornings in order to get out the door by 7:30 with all three kids. So ten minutes can just about break a morning for me. But we made it!

So now I can just say whether I had a Chihuahua day or a slug day, and y’all will know just what I mean.

3 comments:

  1. Great story! I'm so glad you shared it!

    Love, you bro

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't stop your feet!

    (OK, that only sounds good if you've got the last song in the movie running through your head. BUt it made sense to me!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. da-na-naaaaaaaaaaaa, da-na-naaaaaaaaaaaa...da-na-naaaaaaaa, da-na-naaaaaaaaa...da-na-na-na-na-na, da-na-na-na-na-na, na-na-na!

    okay, sorry...in my head it was the Rocky theme song, but when i tried to type it, it just is a bunch of nonsense. sorry.

    How about this one...it's the Eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight, rising up to the challenge of our rivals, and the last known survivor..dadadadadada...and he's watching us all with the Eyeeeeee of the Tigerrrrrrr.

    Okay, sorry forgot some words there. Anyways, you get the picture. :)

    ReplyDelete