Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I Run! I'm A Runner! I Run!


Wednesday. Five a.m. An unseasonably warm morning. Yet a morning like any other. A morning that finds me hating to drag my carcass out of my cozy bed. I still don't really believe I can actually DO all this.

But today was different. Today, I became a runner.

I headed out with my fearless friend Alicia and a new friend Sarah. I didn't bother setting up intervals on my watch and we just took off running. With the exception of about two short pauses to walk just a little and one stretching break, I ran the WHOLE 50 minutes. Yes, it was my shorter stride with more steps per minute as dictated by the physical therapist. It was no speedy pace, but it was steady! I couldn't tell you how far we went since we zig zagged all over our neighborhood, but I was BLOWN AWAY by the fact that I could run the WHOLE time!! And TALK at the same time!!

I just let the legs do the work. That's my secret.

4 comments:

  1. Bob!

    Yay, you, for running! Way to work those baby steps, baby!

    Woo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby steps down the driveway...baby steps down the street....baby steps to a marathon!! Way to go! You're doing the one thing I could never do! Keep it up. Love you,
    Keisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're an inspiration, Julie. I can't run, but I did what I can today - I gave blood. I remember when Mom was getting transfusions regularly and I started giving to the Red Cross then. It's been a while, but the Bloodmobile was here, so I signed up. Hey - if nothing else, it's free cookies and juice!!

    Love Ya!
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey bro, that's awesome! The last time I gave blood I was 17 and it was not good. I ended up breathing in a paper bag and laying down with my feet elevated. But they MADE me keep squeezing that little ball! HAD to fill up the WHOLE bag! It was not the needle that was the problem - I think I just didn't have enough blood to spare. I seriously earned those cookies that day!

    I'm glad you're reading my blog. It's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself.

    ReplyDelete