Thursday, October 25, 2007

Rebound

Last week was tough recovering from the 10 mile run, but I showed up Saturday for a 6 mile run feeling pretty self-assured. After all, I’d done 6 miles or more 4 times already! No problem! Cake!

Oof. It was harder than I had thought! I did increase my running time. And there was a big ol’ hill. And it was really humid . . . Ok, it was just a more difficult day than I had anticipated. One encouragement was that I was not the only one who felt that way. My running buddy, Becky, was tired as well. But we kept each other moving. I sure enjoyed her company and conversation!

My dad came to visit for the weekend so when I got home from running, he got the pleasure of observing my trash can of ice ritual. He played Wii tennis with me to pass the twenty minutes. It helped take my mind off the pain!

But the beautiful thing is, I hit the ground running (pun intended) on Monday! Finally, I was back to the energy level of the week before the 10 miles. Alicia and I braved the dark and cold and, once again, I ran the whole time. Alicia went inside after about 45 minutes, but I kept on going. I didn’t want to stop!

The rest of this week has been emotionally difficult for me with a lot of personal struggles. Not the least of which is the reality of missing my mom. With me having lived so far away from her for so many years, the loss hasn’t hit home every single day. But this week has been hard. Sometimes, even when she’s all grown up, a girl just needs to talk to her mom. I do believe she knows what I’m doing and is pulling for me.

I’m not having any trouble with overconfidence about this Saturday’s run. Twelve miles is intimidating. We shall see . . .

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sis - Hang in there. I understand how you feel. I miss Mom every day. I was just commenting last night to Lu that I miss not being able to talk to her - someone who was 100% accepting of me and who I am.
    I'm here for you - Call if you need anything or just want to talk.

    Love, your Bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jules,
    Even after five years, I have days when all I want to do is talk to my mom about what is going on. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete