Monday, October 1, 2007

OVER ACHIEVERS

Last Saturday, Sept. 22nd, I was in Salem again visiting my family and friends, so I had to make up my long run. It was to be 7 miles. Each week since I started training, we have added one mile to our distance on Saturdays when we run as a team. This was to be, once again, the longest distance I had ever run.

My friend, Terry, had joined me this trip and we planned to run together at Minto Brown Island Park – the same park I ran in the last time I was in Salem. See my entry on September 17th to read about this fantastic park.

We arrived at the park just after 7:00 am and were greeted with bunches of purple balloons, banners, snacks and marked routes. I was wondering who had put out the welcome mat JUST for me! : )

Well, it turns out there was a Domestic Violence Awareness 5K/10K Run/Walk happening that morning at 8:30. Since a 10K is 6.2 miles, we planned to run the course they had laid out, plus a little more to make our 7 miles. Reader’s Digest version, we misunderstood the directions and took a bigger loop than we were supposed to. After adding up all our stretches on the map, we discovered we had done 7.52!

So I showed up this last Saturday, Sept. 29th, not quite so scared of the 8 mile run! More about that to come soon . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment