Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Zip This!

My ziplining weekend at Tamarack was a BLAST! I had not yet been up to see this new resort near Donnelly, Idaho. The time of year was perfect for enjoying the fall colors. The bright, vivid golds of the aspens and the fiery reds contrasted with the green pines were absolutely breathtaking! There was just a touch of snow on the top of the mountains and Saturday was sunny, brisk and perfect for our trek!


First we enjoyed a peaceful, long ski lift ride to the top of the mountain.


From there we spent the next four hours hiking down the mountain, zipping, hiking down, zipping, then hiking some more. Altogether we rode 8 different ziplines ranging up to 950 feet long and over 200 feet above the ground! One zip landed us in a treehouse built around the trunk of an enormous pine, 105 feet up! The last zip required us to traverse two rope bridges and sent us through a beautiful glen that reminded us of Rivendell from Lord of the Rings. When they sent us off that one, we couldn't even see through the trees to where the end was! Each one was unique and fantastic!


My girlfriends and I (and Hoyt, the only guy - what a good sport HE was!) had a blast being wacky, teasing the guides and shrieking war cries as we sailed across the cables. I am sure I heard Godzilla somewhere on the mountain . . . and maybe even Sasquatch!


Tamarack is a beautiful community and I so appreciate our friends Hoyt and Teresa allowing us to stay with them at their home nestled among the trees. It was a tremendous treat for me and the timing was perfect. We all spent a lot of time relaxing before and after the ziplining tour, including stargazing from the warmth of the hot tub. Lupe treated us to taco chipotle soup and chorizo con papas (Que delicioso!) for our dinners, and Julie prepared homemade muffins and scones for our breakfasts! Let me say, our little group knows how to eat and eat well!


Overall, it was a much needed get away for me. After the last month of stress, I was ready to disappear in the mountain for a couple of days and not have to worry about an agenda. We went to bed early both nights, so I got well caught up on my sleep and came home Sunday refreshed and feeling ready to tackle the next several weeks!

1 comment:

  1. We had a blast as well! We love your blog ... what a great way to share your training adventures.

    Hope the shin splints are better.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete