Saturday, December 8, 2007

@*%#@%&#!!!

Well, I did it again. Started out too fast and hurt myself. This time I was feeling it by mile 6. My right knee this time – last time it was my left.

Our route today took us from Municipal Park to Lucky Peak, nine miles out and nine miles back. I was barely moving by the time I reached Lucky Peak. Just walking was excruciating. After about a mile back, I gave up trying to run at all. Coach Mike gave me a knee brace, then I was able to get a decent walking pace going with a stiff as a board right leg. As long as I didn’t even slightly bend my knee, it was manageable. So it was a looooooong remaining 8 miles. I didn’t even bother to think about trying the 19th mile. Today was not the day.

What was so frustrating was that I never got fatigued. With the exception of my knee (and my right hip a little), my body was feeling great and I was anxious to run. But that one thing made running impossible. It was just maddening. I’ve never been so SICK and TIRED of walking!!

But I finished. I was offered a ride back a couple of times, but I couldn’t bear the thought of not completing the course. It was about all I could do to bend and sit down in my car once I got back. I made it home, iced my knee then took a wonderful hot shower to get the chill out of my bones.

So this week I will lay off quite a bit, let my knee heal and hope for a pain free 9 miles next Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. Awww.... I'm sorry. But good for you for hanging in there. Injuries happen, and their timing is never great.

    What intervals are you running? Are you up to running the entire time now? Or are you doing 4 run/ 1 walk, etc?
    Hang in there!

    Hillary :)

    ReplyDelete