Thursday, December 6, 2007

Hodge Podge

Hoo boy. Once again, lots to catch up on here.

Most importantly I’d like to ask you all for your prayers for my running buddy, Becky. She has started experiencing some serious pain with these longer runs. After visiting a chiropractor, she discovered she has some long time injuries that are just now being aggravated by the intensity of her training. She needs to decide if she can continue training now and complete this upcoming race or if she needs to bow out, recover and shoot for the next one. I certainly will miss her company and encouragement if she has to postpone, but the most important thing is for her to take care of herself. So please keep her in your thoughts and prayers and she makes her decision.

The weather provided some small challenges this week, so I’ve spent more time on the treadmill than usual. That’s been good though as it gets me more accustomed to running in a warmer temperature. And I’m feeling pretty adept with the machine now. This Saturday is a long run – 18 miles. Anita-Nell suggested I try and put in 19 and then do 22 rather than 20 on my next and final long run. That will get me much closer to the actual 26.2 I’ll be doing in Phoenix. The thinking is this: If I run 22 miles before the marathon, when I get to the race itself and I hit that 22 mile mark, I will only have 4.2 miles left to go. Mentally, I can set myself up to thinking, “This is just a morning run now. I can do this, no problem.” So that’s my game plan and we’ll see how Saturday goes. It’s going to be cold, but not rainy or snowy. Yeay!

The P.F. Chang’s Rock N Roll Marathon sent me an email announcing the headliner band for the victory party after the race. It’s going to be Kool & the Gang! How kool is that! There will even be a costume contest, so I’m looking forward to dressing up, disco style and having a blast! I will have quite the cheering section there in Phoenix, so I’ll have lots of dance partners! My dad and brother are driving down together from Salem, my friends Julie and Rex will be coming from Boise and my friend Heidi is coming over from Texas. I’m overwhelmed! I didn’t even think in the beginning that people would actually go all the way to Phoenix just to see me run this race! That means so much to me! I love you guys!!

Only 5 1/2 weeks to go! (insert excited/terrified scream here)

No comments:

Post a Comment